GENEVA (Reuters) – A woman who died this month of Ebola may have carried the disease into Rwanda, the World Health Organization said on Thursday, a day after it declared an outbreak in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo an international health emergency.
The Congolese woman was a fishmonger who vomited multiple times at a market in Uganda on July 11, a few days before she died, a Ugandan Health Ministry report published by the WHO said on Wednesday.
The WHO said on Thursday that the ministry suspected that, while infected, the woman had also gone to the Congolese city of Goma and Gisenyi in Rwanda on business. Rwanda has never had a recorded case of Ebola.
Three people died in Uganda last month during the current epidemic, which has killed almost 1,700 people in 11 months. But they did not spread the disease further in Uganda, and the rest all died in Congo.