According to the Washington post newspaper, Turkish police launched raids Thursday against suspected ISIL hideouts in Istanbul and the coastal city of Izmir after officials blamed the jihadist group for a triple suicide bombing that killed 42 people at Ataturk Airport, state-run Anadolu news agency reported.
Counterterrorism units detained nine people in Izmir suspected of providing logistical support to ISIL, the agency reported. The report did not say if police had arrested any suspects in Istanbul, but other local media outlets said documents and encrypted computer files had been discovered at some of the addresses.
The newspaper added that there has been no claim of responsibility for Tuesday night’s airport attack. But Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said in a televised speech late Wednesday that the government’s assertion that ISIL is responsible “continues to gain weight.”
Turkey’s Interior Minister Efkan Ala also said there was no conclusive evidence, but early reports suggested the Sunni extremists were behind the bloodshed.
The identities of the three attackers, who opened fire on passengers at the international terminal before detonating suicide vests, are still unknown.